In 1955, the Junior Women’s Club of Santa Barbara responded to a teenager’s plea on a local “Free Speech” radio program. The young woman asked, “Why can’t we have a Girls Club in Santa Barbara?” Mrs. Ada McReynolds Wise, a retired dress designer and member of the Women’s Club, responded.
On March 17, 1958, the Girls Club of Santa Barbara was incorporated as a non-profit organization. The mission: To help girls become good wives, mothers, homemakers, and citizens. The Girls Club served 280 girls a year ages 6-16 years, and the annual membership fee was $1 per girl.Go Back